Saturday, March 14, 2009

Favorite Friday: Thankfulness

So, this Favorite Friday post is a little behind, but i say better late than never!
Last night our small group volunteered at the Homeless Shelter. The Fraisers & us had the 5-10pm shift and the Friesens and Jordans took the 10-8am shift. I would have to say that serving there was not the most comfortable thing for me to do, but i knew it was important we do it! Sometimes I get too comfortable with life and forget about that those who are not as comfortable and who need to be showed love and compassion. We helped provide, set up, and serve supper to about 10 residents, who for the most part were quite friendly. We enjoyed the evening with eating, movies and games. We brought Ava along and boy did she make herself at home! I looked at her and thought 'why can't i be that outgoing and comfortable in my surroundings' and then i reminded myself i was not three. Oh how i wish i had the spontinatety of a three year old sometimes.

Being in the homeless shelter reminded me of what some of my favorite things are and how to be more thankful:

1) Thankful for my relationship with Jesus and that i grew up in a Christian home. As i looked around the room last night i wondered how many of the men knew Christ.

2) Thankful for my wonderful husband and daughter. I think about how many families who go through divorce, abuse, neglect and become SO thankful for my family.

3)Thankful for our home. We are so blessed to have a furnished roof over our head. I can't imagine not knowing where I would sleep the next night or where my next meal would come from.

4) Thankful for friends. Some of the residents last night looked lonely. There were several that seemed to perk up with conversation when we were there. It makes me sad to think that they don't have family or friends to stay with.

So, all in all one of my favorite things is being THANKFUL. God has given me so many GREAT things in my life. It took a visit to the homeless shelter last night to renew that thankfulness in my heart and to be appreciative for everything we have.

1 comment:

GaRNiTuRe said...

Hi- I know you don't know me, but I found you through a friend's blog- I just started a little hair clip store & I'm trying to get the word out- check it out! I think you'd like it!
www.garnitureclips.blogspot.com