Sunday, February 22, 2009

Dr. Seuss Lesson # 1

Collin and I decided since we do not have Community Life Group on Sundays anymore (now Mondays) we would declare it Family Night. I think it would be a great tradition...if we can keep it going!
This evening we watched Horton Hears a Who. I was a little skeptical. I have never really been a big Dr. Seuss fan. I always thought his writing was a little peculiar; however, Horton changed my mind! After watching Horton Hears a Who i decided to do a little research on Dr. Seuss & this movie. I was surprised to find that Dr. Seuss used to be a Presbyterian Minister. I was surprised to find my notions of Horton having a lot of Christian symbolism was not my own interpretation, but the real deal! Collin and I were amazed at how much the movie depicted Christ.

For those of you who have never seen this movie, here is a little recap: Horton is an elephant that discovers a tiny speck of dust talking to him on a flower. He guards this flower with his life because he knows there is a world inside of that spec that needs his help. Inside of the Spec of dust is a city of 'Whoville.' They didn't know someone bigger than them existed! Of course the mean Kangaroo tries to convince Horton that if you can't see, smell, hear, or touch something, it's not there. It's not true. Horton eventually gets bombarded by the rest of the Seuss clan and the attempt to lock him up and get rid of the flower. I won't tell you the end in case you like the suspense.

So my lesson #1 from Dr. Seuss is that no matter how small we feel (like a Who in a spec of dust) God is constantly fighting to save us! He wants our faith to be so strong, that even if we can't hear him (like the Seuss clan couldn't hear the Who's) we can still believe He is there!

A simple story. A simple lesson. But such GREAT REWARDS! I encourage you to see this movie if you haven't. Besides the symbolism, it's quite funny and entertaining too! I think my perception of Dr. Seuss has changed...

5 comments:

Marc, Sarah, Luke, and Kate said...

Thanks, Andrea. We have not yet seen that movie, and I had no idea what it was about. We'll have to get it -- on Netflix, of course :)

Utecht Family said...

Did Ava like it? I'm wondering if Hannah could sit still through the whole thing - you did see her wiggles in church today!

Anna said...

I LOVE THAT MOVIE - it's in my top 10!!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

I love Dr. Seuss! And it's a super cute movie.

Michelle said...

We love Dr. Seuss - I actually have never come across someone before who didn't - I was a little awed at that - kinda like not liking Disney - altough there are people who don't.

I think most people think of his books that are popular with little kids like the cat -n the hat. I'm particularly fond of Oh, the places you will go (great for graduates), The story of the Lorax which is about taking care of the earth and the environment and the Sneetches is about loving each other even though we are different.

Check some of the others out and enjoy!